1. The Privacy Act
From the 21st of December 2001, new Privacy Laws were introduced to control how we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information. Gilkison Group Pty Ltd (formerly Gilkison Investments Pty Ltd) complies with the National Privacy Principles and is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information.
• The types of personal and sensitive information that we collect and keep on record;
• Our policy in relation to how we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information; and
• Your privacy rights.
2. What is Personal Information?
The Act applies to Personal information. Personal information is recorded information about a person which is capable of identifying the person (e.g. name, address, etc).
Sensitive information is a type of Personal information. It is defined as information or opinion about an individuals health, racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association or trade union, sexual preferences or practices and criminal record.
The National Privacy Principles offer greater safeguards for sensitive information.
3. Purpose and Use of Personal Information
Gilkison Group Pty Ltd collects and may use your information to do one or more of the following:
• Open, update and maintain your client file;
• Enable us to assess any request from you for advice;
• Provide analysis of your needs in our area of service;
• Develop, improve and market our services;
• Send research information to you;
• Notify you of any products which may suit your needs as we understand them;
• Keep you informed on matters that may affect or be related to your situation;
• Enable us to meet our obligations under certain laws; and
• To provide you with regular reviews.
4. How we collect Personal Information
Personal information is generally collected from you or has been collected in the past from you unless you have consented to us obtaining information from a third party. If you have been referred to us by a third party, we will seek your consent and authority to pass personal information between the third party and ourselves for the purpose of providing you with a more complete service.
5. What Personal Information do we collect, or have we already collected?
The Personal information Gilkison Group Pty Ltd collects from you as a client, is necessary to allow us to provide service that is appropriate to your individual circumstances. The Personal information that Gilkison Group Pty Ltd collects may include all or any of the following Personal information:
• Your name, address, contact details and date of birth;
• Your email address;
• Your Tax File number;
• Details of your annual income, expenditure and employment;
• Details of your assets and liabilities;
• Details of any securities or investments you have given us;
• Details of your associated bank accounts;
• Details of existing insurances;
• Details of specific transactions;
• Details of your investment objectives and risk profile; and
• Details of health information relating to your insurance and investment requirements.
We will assume you consent to the collection of your Personal information in the manner specified in this Privacy Statement until you tell us to the contrary.
6. Our Legal Requirements
As providers of services, we must comply with certain laws to ensure our service is provided at a high standard. These laws include:
• Australian Taxation laws
• The Corporations law
• Financial Services law
Using and Disclosing your Personal information
We use your Personal information to provide you with service and advice in our areas of expertise.
You may choose not to provide us with your Personal information. If you do not provide us with relevant Personal information, we may not be able to provide you with the service or advice you have requested, or the service or advice we provide you with may not be relevant to the needs of your individual circumstances.
Depending on the type of service or product provided, we may need to disclose your Personal information to a third party. We will seek your permission in the event that your Personal information is exchanged to the following parties:
• To a Solicitor for the purpose of preparing legal documentation to support and area of your Financial Plan, including Estate Planning such as Wills or an Enduring Power of Attorney;
• To an Accountant;
• To a Stockbroker;
• To a Risk specialist (Estate Planning & Business Succession planning);
• To a Life Insurance company or Fund Manager;
• To an insurance underwriter;
• To the third party who referred our services to you;
• where required under law to conform with the Anti Money Laundering/Counter Terrorism Financing Act 2006.
7. Quality and Security of Personal Information
We endeavour to ensure that your Personal information is kept secure and we therefore retain all ‘hard copy’ records in a secured store room, and our computer system and database is password protected. We also strive to ensure that your Personal information is accurate and up to date.
Please keep us informed of any changes you make to your Personal information that may affect our records. If you believe that any information we have about you is not accurate, complete or up to date, please advise us so we can correct the information.
8. Access to Personal Information
You may request access to the Personal information that we hold about you at any time. There are certain circumstances however when we may not be required to provide access to this information, in which case a written explanation will be sent to you.
If you have any questions, have a complaint, or think we have breached any aspect of this Privacy Statement, please contact us as soon as possible to discuss the matter. We may be contacted using the following information:
Gilkison Group Pty Ltd
PO Box 2158
COMO WA 6152
Phone & Fax:
P: 08 9364 1100
F: 08 9364 1122